Sunday, September 21, 2008

My Favorite Book

"To plant a pine, one need be neither God or a poet: one need only a shovel" Aldo Leopold


My Favorite book is A Sand County Almanac And Sketches Here and There by Aldo Leopold. I discovered this book in my "later the average college years." I was taking a Forestry Class, and it was required reading. I also had to write a paper on it, I might even have a copy of it around here someplace, probably "upstairs"... as everything I haven't used in awhile ends up upstairs. My book, sits in a basket on my Scrap-booking desk, my hard cover version was a thoughtful gift from Jen a number of years ago. I had an old used paperback copy, that was dog eared and highlighted, with notes in the margin, I must have given that copy to someone else to read. I did have several copies floating around here at one time, then when I would get a customer at the greenhouse that was a "Reader" I would send them off with my favorite book. But not my hard covered copy, I lend it to no one...a bit selfish perhaps..I guess it must be so. Somethings I just need near me..just in case..and this book is one of those things.

Leopold was a conservationist. a naturalist and a writer. His book is written in such a way that you don't need to read it from start to finish.although I suggest you do. You can pick up this book and just read a small sketch here and there. Possibly it could be read aloud, around a campfire, or to a grandchild. I enjoy reading it bits and pieces here and there. I look at this book, like a visit from an old friend, a wise old friend.

Maybe a book written in the late 1940's isn't for you...maybe your carrots have always come in a plastic bag instead of out of the garden covered with a little bit of dirt to make them taste better. Maybe your heat only comes from a furnace, instead of stored up in a woodpile ready to warm your very soul. Maybe you don't weep for the wildflowers being annihilated by the four wheeler tracks in the ditches. Leopold says " Maybe you can't grieve for something you never knew." If you never noticed the wildflowers ..you will never miss them:)

5 comments:

RURAL said...

I am going to look for that book! And I look forward to reading it, there are some things that we must pay more attention to. I bet those 4 wheelers never thought anything about the repercussions of driving through the ditches.
Jen

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Muddy Boots, If you read it, please drop me a comment.. I would be very interested in knowing your opinion of the book. Thanks for stopping By!

Unknown said...

Have you read any Gene Stratton Porter books? She wrote novels and nature books. All I know about her is she was a famous author and naturalist from Indiana. One of her most famous books was a novel called A Girl of the Limberlost. I haven't read any of her books but I did see a documentary of her and I really like it. I've always wanted to visit her home which is a state historical site now.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Milah, No... I have not read any of Porters books but I will put it on my wish list. A gal should always have a wish list when it comes to books!!

Carly said...

Hello Connie :)

This is such a lovely post. I am an avid reader, and the book you mention here sounds very much like one I would enjoy. I just happen to find magic in wildflowers, and things most folks might disregard. I like finding the beauty in the simple. Probably due to my love of photography. You see things through the lens of a camera which might otherwise be overlooked. :) Lovely entry here!

-Carly

By the way, I want to invite you to also play along with my Monday Photo Shoot. I offer a new assignment each Monday morning, and you have a full week to take the photo, then leave me the link. I host the Monday Photo Shoot on my personal blog, Ellipsis. Here is the link...

Ellipsis
http://ellipsissuddenlycarly.blogspot.com

If you have any questions about either project, the Round Robins, or the Monday Photo Shoot, feel free to send me an email.