Tuesday, September 23, 2008

"Make Do Attitude"

Well unless you live further in the "Boonies" than I do. You can't help think about what is happening on "the hill" this morning. I am not an Economist, I did take a class in Economics once, I ended up with a "C."

I am just a "Housewife/ Mother/ Grandma/ Business Owner Now Retired ." It is from my view that the following opinion is written.

Being the CEO of my household, I have a limited amount of funds. I have to make it from payday to payday and feed my family, clothe them, provide a roof over their head and think about their future. I have a checking account, a rainy day savings account, and a cookie jar. I must live within my means. I must "make do" sometimes, but that isn't so bad. "Making do" builds character. If there is no money in the checkbook, I don't write checks. If I have a major crisis I can dip into my savings account, but only for really important things like transmissions and hospital bills. If the cookie jar is empty, I have to do something extra to refill it, have a garage sale, anything short of selling my body or my firstborn. If I want to go on a vacation I save up for it in advance, that way it can be a vacation without quilt. Now if Suzy needs braces, we may have to go camping and sleep in a tent. If my husband thinks we will all die without a new boat, I tell him "You first Sweetheart." I make my grocery list and keep my budget in mind, I don't purchase anything impulsively. Sometimes my kids think they are deprived because their friends have more toys than they do. We are all "making do" within our means.

I have a neighbor, that struggles. She never seems to make it from payday to payday. First she borrows money from family members, then she maxes out her credit cards, she needs a new car, her husband is going to die without a new boat. She buys a new house that I envy, then a place on the lake, they vacation in Europe. Her spending is out of control. She gets "bailed out" by her wealthy parents. Does she stop and re evaluate her situation, heck no she continues her wild spending habits..she has learned nothing..of course she will be "bailed out" again and again..never learning a thing. Now why is she all of a sudden MY problem?

I have a real problem with the "Slick Talking Suits" that are testifying today. First of all they want "US" to make a decision very rapidly. My Grandma used to say ...haste makes waste. Well don't kid yourself..I am not waiting for the phone to ring my opinion is the last one they want. I say let the chips fall where they may, the buck stops here and "NO." It is time to "make do."

So who do we blame? the Republicans? the Democrats? How about ALL the Politicians, not a one of them wants to be held accountable..and none of them have ever had a "make do" attitude, they are all like my neighbor off in La La Land:(

7 comments:

Linda said...

Great post! I've always believed that'
If your outgo is more that your income your upkeep WILL be your downfall!

Swearing Mother said...

You are so right, I think they should teach thrift at school along with cookery and DIY skills so that kids can learn how to manage their money and avoid debt.

I was shocked recently at how many of my colleagues admitted to wasting huge amounts of food, chucking away unopened packs just because they've bought too much.

It seems immoral to me, as well as a total waste of money.

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is frightening these days how people do think they can have whatever they want whenever they want it. Children never expect to have to wait and save up for anything - and yet the pleasure of finally being able to purchase something, after months of wandering past it in a shop window and gazing longingly at it, is so much greater than if you just go straight in and buy it.

Like you I have always managed with what I have. And there were occasions when that was very little.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

I really enjoyed this post.

Sometimes, I find the ways of the world really puzling.

I live in England (in Dorset) and for a long time the impression given in the media was that you are not managing your finances properly unless you use credit.

I don't properly understand what is going on at present (and I'm unsure where the balance is to be struck between people reaping the results of their mistakes and protecting those who would suffer through no fault of their own) - but I am glad I stuck to buying with money I have rather than money I wish I had.

Lucy

Oh. P.S. What I came here for originally was to say I hope you don't mind that I have mentioned you on my post for today's LOOSE AND LEAFY (24th Sept.). If it isn't, let me know and I'll change it. L.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Thanks for the comments girls! I am glad I am not the only one that "makes do" with what I have:)

Unknown said...

Great post! Well said!

The Silver Age Sara said...

I so agree with you. There are so many things I'd love to have for our farm, useful things but the bank book says no so we make do with what we have.
I don't fully understand the situation going on but to me it is shameful we have come to this position to bail out CEOs who make more in a month than we make in our lifetime.
What about the values this country used to honor of hard work, sacrifice and thrift.
Your post struck a chord with me and I enjoyed reading it.